Review by Tony Cannella
From Jakarta, Indonesia the Symphonic metal band Blodwen formed in 2004. In 2009 they released their debut mini-album “After Joker” and followed that up a year later with their impressive debut full-length “Black Symphony”. Now after a series of demos, EPs and singles the band returns with their new 20-minute EP “When Autumn Ends”.
“When Autumn Ends” begins with the bombastic “Eye of Storm”. Lead vocalist Bernice Nikki is at her operatic best and the band just tears through this number. “Hampa Dunia” is next and is another solid track with pounding metal rhythms and almost a gothic vibe. My favorite track is the outstanding and emotional ballad “Blue Romance”. The cinematic intro track “Once Upon a Time” segues into the final track “Riverfall” and it closes the EP in a fittingly powerful way.
Blodwen remains an impressive outfit. “When Autumn Ends” takes the listener on a journey of different emotions and nuances which is all the more impressive based on its 20-minute playing time. I loved the debut and I love this one as well. Great stuff!
Rating – 85/100
- Eye of Storm
- Hampa Dunia (Void of the World)
- Blue Romance
- Once Upon a Time
- Bernice Nikki – Vocals / Songwriter
- Alexander Lexy – Guitars / Arranger
- Bayu Djody Gondokusumo – Bass
- Nikolaus Praditya – Drums
- HEILUNG + LILI REFRAIN @ 013 Tilburg - March 7, 2023
- AMARANTHE – An Interview with Olof Mörck - March 2, 2023
- DISMAL: release new single - February 23, 2023