Interview by Tony Cannella
Line-up changes are all too common in the music business for various reasons, not only in metal but all genres. It’s often hardest to change a lead vocalist which is what the Florida based metal band Kamelot were faced with when popular singer Roy Khan left the band and was replaced by Swedish vocalist Tommy Karevik of the band Seventh Wonder. Well with the Release of “Silverthorn” (featuring the debut of Karevik) and relentless touring even the fears of the most die-hard fan should be put to rest. Tommy Karevik fits Kamelot like the proverbial glove and the band are better than ever – as I witnessed when they played the Palladium in Worcester, Mass on their current North American tour. The entire band were on fire and just plain awesome throughout their entire set; a set that featured a good mix of new songs with older favorites. Following their sound check I had the huge pleasure to sit down with Kamelot’s guitarist Thomas Youngblood to talk about a variety of subjects. Here are the highlights of our conversation… Continue reading »
Label: Century Media Records
Review by Tony Cannella
From California, New Years Day plays infectious alternative hard rock with a punk edge. Their third album “Victim to Villain” comes 6-years after their debut “My Dear”. NYD released their sophomore effort “Headlines & Headstones” in 2010 and now comes their aforementioned third album.
“Victim to Villain” features 11-songs and a manageable playing time of 34-minutes. Musically, New Years Eve takes what Paramore does and turns it up to 11 and beyond. Lead vocalist Ashley Costello has a clean yet hard-edge to her vocals and they are just dripping with attitude. The opener “Do Your Worst” begins with some ominously, lilting piano before the song develops into a pounding, hard rock tune. Continue reading »
Label : Napalm Records
Review by Tony Cannella
The Norwegian Gothic metal veterans Tristania returns with “Darkest White”, their seventh album and first since 2010’s “Rubicon”. “Darkest White” is also the second album to feature vocalist Mariangela Demurtas as she continues to fit in quite nicely and her further comfortability shows quite well throughout the 10-song, 48-minute playing time provided here.
The bombastic riffing leads us into the frenzied pacing of the opening track, “Number”. The main vocals on this track are from Anders Hoyvik Hidle who provides the brutal vocals as Mariangela joins in with her excellent vocals. Continue reading »
Interview by Miriam C.Straight from OC [Orange County, yeah like that eponymous The CW's series], California, comes the alternative rock band New Years Day. Although their proved live experience on the 11th June 2013, the band will debut on Century Media Records with their second album “Victim to Villain”. Read some thoughts from Ashley, the singer, about the album’s genesis. Hi Ashley, first of all. How are you? I hope everything’s fine.
Hi there! I’m doing great! Very busy planning our upcoming music video for the song “Angel Eyes” and our upcoming tour with the Vans Warped Tour. So busy!Would you mind presenting the band with some biography?
Well…. Ah. Well… We attended Juilliard… We’re graduates of the Harvard business school. We travel quite extensively. We lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. Continue reading »
Label : Alfa Matrix
Review by Davide Torresan
Born in 2006, the Italian Helalyn Flowers reach the goal of the 3rd album after a couple of nice works like “A Voluntary Coincidence” and “Stitches of Eden”. This duo of musicians is formed by Nøemi Aurøra and Max, and they propose a rather original sound that mixes industrial, rock, an abundant use of electronics and the beautiful voice of the singer Nøemi.
“White Me In Black Me Out”, like the title suggests, shows us the two faces of a medal: one white, calm and melodic, and another one, black, dark and chaotic with its guitar riffs and some overwhelming refrains that will punch you brutally in the face. Continue reading »
Style switcher only on this demo version. Theme styles can be changed from Options page.
- Illnath – “Third Act in the Theatre of Madness” (2011)
- Hysterica – “The Art of Metal” (2012)
- Hand of God – “The Hand of God” (2013)
- Flames of Fury – “FoF” EP (2013)
- Effloresce – “Coma Ghosts” (2012)
- Marie Fredriksson – “Nu!” (2013)
- Anneke Van Giersbergen
- Leaves Eyes’ – “Symphonies of the Night” (2013)
- Phildel – “The Glass Ghost” EP (2013)
- Lita Ford
- Sarah Teets – MindMaze
- Susanna Vesilahti – Unshine
- Trobar de Morte – “The Silver Wheel” (2012)
- Viper Venom – “In Venom Veritas” (2012)
- Via Obscura – “Gedanken” (2012)
- The Mariana Hollow – “Velvet Black Sky” (2012)
- Storyum – “Insomnia” (2012)
- Snei Ap – “Hidden Floors” EP (2013)
- Sin7sinS – “Carnival of No Tomorrow” (2012)
- MaterDea – “Satyricon” (2011)
- Rampart – “War Behast” (2012)
- Lita Ford – “The Bitch is Back… Live” LIVE ALBUM (2013)
- Epysode – “Fantasmagoria” (2013)
- Beyond God – “Dark Light of Dawn” EP (2013)
- Ayreon – “The Theory of Everything” (2013)
- Seremonia – “Ihiminen” (2013)
- Tuomas Tuovinen & Eveelina Kojo – myGrain
- TEODASIA announces European Tour with TARJA TURUNEN
- I Left the Planet – “I Left the Planet” EP (2011)
- Grimes – “Visions” (2012)